Specialist Training Program
The Specialist Training Program (STP) provides support to enable medical specialist trainees to rotate through an expanded range of settings beyond traditional public teaching hospitals. Introduced in 2010 the STP is the platform for Commonwealth Grants to support for specialist training initiatives. Programs inlcuded in the STP include:
- the Expanded Specialist Training Program (ESTP)
- the Outer Metropolitan Specialist Trainee Program (OMSTP)
- Advanced Specialist Training Posts in Rural Areas (ASTPRA)
- the Pathology Memorandum of Understanding (Path MoU)
- the Overseas Trained Specialist Upskilling Program
- Psychiatry Training Outside Teaching Hospitals (PTOTH)
- Supporting best practice and workforce in pathology and diagnostic imaging
Aims and objectives of the program
The aims and objectives of the this program are to:
- increase the capacity of the health care sector to provide high quality, appropriate training opportunities to facilitate the required educational experiences for specialist training
- supplement the available specialist workforce in outer metropolitan, rural and remote locations
- develop specialist training arrangements beyond traditional teaching hospitals.
SA MET supports the STP and is a member of the Commonwealth's STP advisory group, EMEAC. Further information is available from the Department of Health and Ageing website.